When installing the Direct Maya Plugin, an error message claiming that the PATH variable is exceeding 1024 characters is displayed
When installing Direct Maya, the installation location of the plug-in will be added to the PATH environment variable.
However, this environment variable has a limit of 1024 characters. If the PATH variable is already too long, the installation path of Direct Maya cannot be added and thus the plugin cannot be found afterwards.
This problem can be fixed by following the following steps (Administrative privileges are required):
- Go to Windows Start menu
- Right click on your workstation and select Properties
- Click on Advanced system settings and find the Environment Variables
- In the list of system variables, scroll down until you find the PATH entry, select it and click “edit”
- Copy the contents of the PATH-variable into an editor or word processor, in order to check the already listed path-values
- Delete any unnecessary paths, for example old Direct Maya versions that have been installed on that machine before and are no longer needed
- Paste the edited PATH-variable back into the system settings window and save.